Welcome to our first newsletter!
In this newsletter, you will find information about upcoming and past events, goals, memberships, Carver School grounds rentals, our new website, and general news.
- Museum — The grand opening of the museum was a success. Thank you to all who attended. We have many goals for the museum. One of the most exciting is that we plan to make it a virtual museum, so those who are unable to travel to Brackett can still “virtually” tour.
- Ms. Joni Mae Jordan — Once again, the Seminole Negro Indian Scout Cemetery Association sends our deepest condolences to the family of Joni Mae Jordan. We looked to her often for guidance and wisdom. She will be missed.
- Goals — Like many of you, the Seminole Negro Indian Scout Cemetery Association has many goals. As we come up with new goals and accomplish them, we look forward to informing you. Our first goal is to paint the exterior of the museum and replace the broken windows. We want to have this goal accomplished before September Days.
- Carver School Grounds Rentals — Did you know that the Carver School Grounds are available for rental? If you have an event planned, but do not have a venue, please contact us. Our rates are very affordable, and we have plenty of space.
- Website — How do you like our new website? We hope you are as pleased with it as we are. Our website is the place to come for all information pertaining to the Seminole Negro Indian Scout Cemetery Association. Your suggestions and ideas on ways to improve our new website are always welcomed. http://www.seminolecemeteryassociation.com/
- Twitter – You can now follow us on Twitter @SISCA_Brackett
- Membership — Membership is $24. You can pay your membership at any time on this website. We ask that you send your updated information to email@example.com
- The museum is open every Saturday from 1-4PM. The admission fee is $5.
- Juneteenth is right around the corner. We are in the process of planning a spectacular celebration. We look forward to seeing you there.
- Our next regular meeting is Saturday, May 9, 2015 at 1 PM (This meeting is tentatively cancelled because Ms. Joni Mae Jordan’s homegoing service is scheduled for this same day. We may still meet but at a later time during the day. Details will be posted as soon as they are decided).
- A Memorial Day Celebration/Observance is in the works. More details to follow very soon.
- Volunteers — We are always seeking volunteers to help with cleaning the Carver School Grounds and the cemetery. If you are interested, please contact us.
- Donations — Your donations are always welcomed. Your continued support will always be appreciated.
- Thank yous — Thank you to the following individuals and organizations:
Judge Tully Shannan
Mary and Al Nofi
Stan Metcalf and the Kinney County Post
Bobby and Debbie Guidry
Deborah J. Hitchcock
Bob Martinez and H.O.P.E. Outreach
Texas Historical Commission
William F. Haenn
…and countless others